Saturday, July 10, 2010

Musical Memories

What was the first song you remember as a kid? Rock-A-Bye-Baby? Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star? "Video Killed the Radio Star" by The Buggles?

I wish I could answer that question for myself but I haven’t the foggiest idea. Maybe I heard the Bee Gees or Barbara Streisand in utero. I plan on playing Beethoven for my baby. I also intend to play the records on this sweet little find from a few weeks ago.

Meet my 1971 Fisher Price Music Box Record Player. It is a wind-up record player that plays plastic records like a real record player but doesn’t need batteries. It comes with five double-sided records featuring the following songs:

Edelweiss

Children’s Marching Song

Camptown Races

Jack and Jill

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star

Au Clair de la Lune

Humpty Dumpty

London Bridge

Oh Where Has My Little Dog Gone?

Hickory Dickory Dock

I was going to list it on eBay but a recent afternoon spent with my mom, out on the back patio listening to the songs and reminiscing, made me change my mind. For now the record player has a home on our piano bench. I'm curious to see the reactions of different houseguests when they request to play a tune or two.

*Illustrations are from Mother Goose published by Stoll & Edwards Co. Inc. New York circa 1929. If you have an idea of who the artist is please let me know!

No comments: