Saturday, May 9, 2009

A Mother's Day Dish


The most important thing in the Berretta family is the next meal. Growing up I was never famished nor did I consume a large amount of processed/frozen/canned food. Mom made everything fresh and continues that tradition to this day. The local farmer’s market is like a fine art museum to my mother. She worships each round plum and bundle of asparagus as if plucked from the Garden of Eden itself.

There were times as a kid when I wasn’t sure if my friends liked me for me or for my mother’s free amazing meals. One might think that I too would turn out to be an amazing cook, a queen of the kitchen. My current kitchen is approximately 25 square feet – I kid you not. Does this bother me? Only when I hit my rear against the sink when trying to open my fridge. I am no chef.

In honor of Mother’s Day and my mother’s love of food, I thought I would somehow relate this to something I collect. Plates and trivets are the first thing that came to mind. Granted I would never eat off the plates I’m about to discuss.


ITALY:


My sister bought me this fantastic small plate (approximately 5 inches) while she was in Italy for my cousin's wedding. It is marked "Orvieto" on the back side or as I like to say, the verso. Orvieto is in southwestern Umbria, Italy which is northwest of Terni, Italy where my father was born.





A trivet with a scene of Tuscany. Made in Italy. 8 inches – I originally bought two of these but my depth perception failed me when hanging the other scene and became a much missed casualty. This is most likely the most contemporary item listed here.



ENGLAND:


Wedgwood, 4 ½ inches, Porcelain, Ca. 1955 (based on a similar blue one I found listed). This was my grandmother’s and I failed to mention it in my previous blog about all the fine things she bestowed upon me. It features a floral border and three mythological scenes. The verso is marked: Made in England, Wedgwood and X.

A FARM SOMEWHERE (?):




Chicken, hammered bronze/copper/brass (?), 5 ½ inches. If anyone has any ideas on this one feel free to share. I just loved the crazy chicken/bird. I feel like one myself sometimes.



ROMANIA:




Romania, painted wood plate, 7 ½ inches - Again, I just loved the painting on this one and have no idea when it was made.



MEXICO:




Despite the label that reads “La Ceramica de Talavera. Objetos para Regalo. Lagasca 44” (Talavera is a famous
Mexican pottery), the verso of this awesome tile reads “Onda, Espana” a city in Spain. So perhaps once upon a time this was made in Mexico and sold at a gift shop in Spain.

Talavera pottery is extremely beautiful. This tile image doesn’t seem to fit in much with the ornate decorative pottery I uncovered but I love horses. End of story.



JAPAN:




This lovely piece marked “Moriyama – Made in Occupied Japan” was filthy when I bought it for $2 at a thrift store. If I had taken a better picture you would be able to see all the gold accents I uncovered, including the trim around the edges. The “Occupied Japan” dates it between 1945 to 1952 when Japan was occupied by the Allied Powers. It measures 6 ¼ inches in diameter and once again has a horse.



TURKEY:




This brightly colored plate is marked "Hand made Kütahya, Turkey". Kütahya is apparently known for its beautiful colored tiles and pottery. I certainly agree and am glad someone else had the chance to travel there, purchase this wonderful plate and then years later donate it to a thrift store. It measures 7 ½ inches in diameter.

Alright, kids, time for dinner. Be sure to wish Mom a Happy Mother's Day.

3 comments:

Grégoire said...

This is why I love your blog. You collect some amazing stuff and I always learn something new.

I saw something like your unknown piece once in Gatineau PQ (near Ottawa, Canada). It was a silver serving plate with two makeshift handles, amateurish but beautiful, and it even had a rooster on it. The one I saw was old Acadiens folk art from the maritimes.

The rooster is a Gallic symbol and the Acadiens used it in the same way the Québécois use the fleur-de-lis, and Canada-Scots use the thistle.

The Acadiens were thrown out of Canada in a genocide/ethnic cleansing and some escaped to become the 'Cajuns' of the bayou on the gulf coast. Maybe you got it in Houston, but it came from a Louisienne family? Just a wild guess based on the rooster-looking bird.

Either way it's a *very* cool piece of folk art.

Thank you for your articles; and happy mother's day to Cristina's mother. She obviously did a good job at parenting.

QueenB said...

England needs to be filled with different kinds of chocolate truffles, Some Farm (?) with Breton wheat crackers, Italy will be the bearer of stinky cheese and the other countries can fight over who gets the olives or the pits. I think a plate party is in order, madame.

PS-check my new post and thanks again for taking the pics. Oh! And how do I follow you so that it shows up on your blog?

Cristina Berretta said...

Grégoire, as always, you leave us such great historical information. Now I can imagine my chicken plate is something much more exotic.

And B, I'm behind you 100% with your blog and 0% with putting stinky cheese on my Italian plates :)